The Chateau d'Usse is located in the commune of Rigny-Usse in the Indre-et-Loire departement, in France. The stronghold at the edge of the Chinon forest overlooking the Indre Valley was first fortified in the eleventh century by the Norman seigneur of Usse, Gueldin de Saumur, who surrounded the fort with a palisade on a high terrace. The site passed to the Comte de Blois, who rebuilt in stone.
In the fifteenth century, the ruined castle of Usse was purchased by Jean V de Bueil, a captain-general of Charles VII who became seigneur of Usse in 1431 and began rebuilding it in the 1440s; his son Antoine de Bueil married in 1462 Jeanne de Valois, the biological daughter of Charles VII and Agn�s Sorel, who brought as dowry 40000 golden ecus. Antoine was heavily in debt and in 1455, sold the chateau to Jacques d�Espinay, son of a chamberlain to the Duke of Brittany and himself chamberlain to the king; Espinay built the chapel, completed by his son Charles in 1612, in which the Flamboyant Gothic style is mixed with new Renaissance motifs, and began the process of rebuilding the fifteenth-century chateau that resulted in the sixteenth-seventeenth century aspect of the structure to be seen today.
February 16th, 2010
Viewed 820 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 06/15/2019 at 8:14 PM