#4800, a 2-C+C-2 type electric locomotive, was one of two prototypes ordered by the Pennsylvania Railroad for testing at Claymont, DE, in 1934. Built by Baldwin and General Electric, it was originally numbered #4899. The design was classed GG1 by the Pennsy because the wheel arrangement was the same as two Class G (4-6-0) steam locomotives coupled back to back.
Both locomotives had the distinctive streamlining, but #4800 was the only unit ever to have a riveted body, giving rise to the nickname "Old Rivets". All subsequent models had welded bodies. After testing, the GG1 went into production.
Twelve 385 hp GEA-627-A1 traction motors drove the six 57" driving wheels to deliver 4,620 hp, but the GG1 could achieve a maximum of 8,500 hp for short bursts.
#4800 had the distinction of hauling the first electric train out of Washington, DC's Union Station on 28th January 1935. The Pennsy ordered fourteen more GG1s from GE but the remaining one hundred and twenty-five were built at Alto...