Llanddwyn Island is situated near the southern entrance to the Menai Strait a stretch of water than runs between the west coast of Wales and Angelsey, UK. As a result it became an an important route for shipping of slate from the ports of Bangor, Caernarfon and Felinhelli. Originally a beacon (Twr Bach) was built at the tip of the island to provide guidance to ships heading for the Strait but later, in 1845, another more effective lighthouse, Twr Mawr, was added which was modelled on the windmills of Anglesey.
September 17th, 2012
Viewed 853 Times - Last Visitor from Cupertino, CA on 01/21/2020 at 5:12 PM