Magellans Cross, one of the most famous landmarks of Cebu City.
A Christian cross planted by Portuguese, and Spanish explorers as ordered by Ferdinand Magellan upon arriving in Cebu in the Philippines 1521.
This cross is housed in a chapel next to the Basilica Minore del Santo Ni�o on Magallanes Street (Magallanes being the Spanish name of Magellan), just in front of the city center of Cebu City. A sign below the cross describes the original cross is encased inside the wooden cross that is found in the center of the chapel. This is to protect the original cross from people who chipped away parts of the cross for souvenir purposes or in the belief that the cross possesses miraculous powers. Some people, however, believe that the original cross had been destroyed or had disappeared after Magellan's death, and the cross is a replica that was planted there by the Spaniards after they successfully colonized the Philippines.
The ceiling mural depicts Magellan's landing in Cebu
December 14th, 2014
Viewed 768 Times - Last Visitor from Cupertino, CA on 07/15/2019 at 9:34 PM