Photograph - Digital Capture, Watermark Not On Actual Prints
Mission Nuestra Senora de la Purisima Concepcion de Acuna (also Mission Concepcion) was established in 1716 as Nuestra Senora de la Purisima Concepcion de los Hainais in East Texas. It was originally meant to be a base for converting the Hasinai. The mission was moved in 1731 to San Antonio. After its relocation most of the people in the mission were Pajalats who spoke a Coahuiltecan language. Founded by Franciscan friars, this is the best preserved of the Texas missions.
The Battle of Concepcion was fought here on October 28, 1835 between Mexican troops under Colonel Domingo Ugartechea and Texian insurgents led by James Bowie and James Fannin. The 30-minute engagement, is described as "the first major engagement of the Texas Revolution" by historian J.R. Edmondson.
Located at 807 Mission Road, Concepcion was designated a National Historic Landmark on April 15, 1970 and is part of San Antonio Missions National Historical Park. Restoration of the mission's interior was completed in March 2010 after six months of work. Catholic Mass is still held every Sunday.
April 21st, 2013
Viewed 839 Times - Last Visitor from Cupertino, CA on 10/13/2019 at 6:48 PM