Established in the early part of the nineteenth century as a sawmill camp. The first name given to this settlement was Little River, for the stream on which it is located. This name was in use from 1877 until about 1887. When the post office was established in 1893, it was named for A.P. Morehouse, lieutenant-governor of Missouri, who became governor at the death of Marmaduke in 1887 and served until 1889 when he retired from public life. He died in 1891.
Himmelberger-Harrison Lumber Company had their start in Morehouse, they went on to become at one time the largest lumber company in the United States. This business was crucial in the creation of the Little River Drainage District.
December 26th, 2018
Viewed 27 Times - Last Visitor from Langfang, 10 - China on 01/02/2020 at 5:34 PM