A small village in the western part of the county where a post office was established in 1887 and named by Louis Houck for the Shawnee Indian Pucksicah, whose tribe had camped in this region before the coming of the Europeans. The first settlement at Puxico was made September 29, 1883, and the town was incorporated June 2, 1884.
The town was situated on the Hoxie branch of the Frisco Railroad. The Bank of Puxico was organized in 1898 and has a capital stock of $25,000. At the time one newspaper, the PUXICO INDEX.
The town is located at the junction of Highways PP & 51, near Mingo National Wildlife Refuge.
September 21st, 2018
Viewed 1,404 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 02/16/2020 at 8:04 PM