A town along the Frisco Railroad in the southern part Pemiscot County. A post office was established in 1897 and named for L.L. Steele, who came to Pemiscot County in 1885 and started in the farming and mercantile business.
The town was incorporated on October 9, 1901 under a petition presented to the County Court of Pemiscot County.
Initially the town would overflow with rain water to the extent that at times a boat could be rowed from one end of Main Street to the other. The sidewalks were boards built about four feet above the ground. Since completion of the first dredge ditch through town in 1910 the water disappeared.
Land that was at one time considered worthless so far as agriculture was concerned is now a part of what is regarded one of the richest agriculture sections of the United States.
January 21st, 2019
Viewed 27 Times - Last Visitor from Guangzhou - China on 01/27/2020 at 6:36 AM