St. John's Lutheran Church is representative of the Neo-Classical revival style of architecture with a coursed fieldstone exterior and cut limestone quoins.
On top of the roof is a square wood bell tower complete with tin louvers and a Swiss/Bavarian octagonal spire and finial.
The north, east and west elevations of St. John's Lutheran Church are field stone mortared to look like cut stone.
The windows with 6 over 6 sashes and a semi-circular wood head are located on the front elevation, while the side elevations have windows with 6 over 6 sashes and glazed semi-circular transoms.
The large wood doors have a semi-circular wood fan overhead and maintain the original locks which are opened by an eight inch iron key
It is listed in the Canadian register of historic places
Hessian Lutherans from Hesse, Germany, settled in the Wellesley. Ontario Canada area in 1845 and built a log church adjoined by a burial ground on lands donated by George Hahn in early 1850.
The log church was destroyed by fire in early 1870.
A land donation from Katherine Reichart of a corner of her farm enabled the current St. John's Lutheran Church to be built in 1872.
It is across the road from the original log structure.
This new church was constructed using fieldstone gathered by Katherine Reichert and her children from their farm.
The Gold Standard
Images That Excite
May 19th, 2014
Viewed 936 Times - Last Visitor from Shenzhen, 30 - China on 03/28/2020 at 5:11 PM