The Bolivar Lighthouse was originally authorized for Galveston Island in 1847 but was later changed to Bolivar Point, just across the entrance to Galveston Bay. The present Lighthouse is the second cast iron Lighthouse to be built on the same site. The first was dismantled by confederates in the civil war. The present Lighthouse was finished in 1872. The Lighthouse acted as a safe haven for 125 people during the hurricane in September, 1900, which almost destroyed Galveston. The Lighthouse again saved 60 people during the 1915 hurricane. The Lighthouse still stands 116 feet above sea level but is no longer in use.
April 4th, 2018
Viewed 489 Times - Last Visitor from Cupertino, CA on 01/23/2020 at 5:05 AM