MEXICAN SCHOOL, MID 19TH CENTURY
The mining town of Mineral de Pozos, Guanajuato, Mexico
Oil on canvas
80 x 60 cm; 31 1/2 x 23 5/8 inches
We are grateful to Dr. Roxana Velasquez for confirming the school and location of the present painting.
Private collection, London, United Kingdom
Private collection, Zurich, Switzerland
While, politically, Mexico in the 19th century is known for revolutions and instability, the mineral wealth of the region, especially the historically important silver reserves, continued to be exploited throughout the period. The town of Mineral de Pozos grew from an 18th century Jesuit controlled mine, its functions ceasing with the expulsion of the order in 1767. It was not until 1844 when a more industrial and modern mining facility was opened, and in 1873 this was acquired by the American Parkman family. By 1895 there were some 500 mining concerns and over 70,000 residents but its flourishing would be brief and by 1927 operations had ceased.