This original photograph is currently for sale. At the present time, originals are not offered for sale through the Pixels secure checkout system. Please contact the artist directly to inquire about purchasing this original.
To assist navigation around the point into Racine harbor, the Wind Point Lighthouse began functioning in 1880 with a kerosene lamp, focused and magnified by a third order Fresnel lens. Its light could be seen for 19 miles. At 108 feet tall, it is one of the tallest and oldest lighthouses still serviing navigation on the Great Lakes. Its fog horns, whocih last sounded in 1964, could be heard for 10 miles. The lighthouse was places on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. In 9917, the National Park Service awarded ownership of the property to the Village of Wind Point. The Coast Guard still maintains the light as a public navigation aid.
FEATURED PHOTO, Midwest America group, 3/9/15
August 27th, 2012
Viewed 2,552 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 06/23/2019 at 3:17 AM